28.10.15

names & plans;

This might be a weird one, but I was drifting off in thought 
thinking about it and thought I'd make a little post.



I have a fondness for light and whimsical names,
almost flowery in nature, breezy and reminiscent of a sunshiney day.

Then also quirky and somewhat edgy names, with irregular patterns of letters.
My given name isn't really like that, and I almost wish I had been named
the other variant of it but somehow it just doesn't suit me.

I use my given name professionally and for formal things, 
but I think "Niqi" simply fits me better.

I used to spell it differently, but I got tired of it and seeing it 
becoming almost common and feeling less identified with it, 
I changed the spelling because I wanted to. Some people found it weird 
and made fun of me for changing it, others liked it and supported me.

 Sometimes people are lovely about it when I tell them how it's spelt, 
saying "Wow I've never heard it spelt like that before, I like it!" 
and that makes me happy. 

I chose to add "honeydew" behind it in most of my social media places
not just because I like the fruit and the way it sounds, but also from a
connection between my birth month in April and the Korean word
for dew, " 이슬 (iseul)". I like the idea of "honey" and "dew" together,
not exactly the melon but like two separate words together. 

It reminds me of Springtime, my favourite season;
a pairing of sweetness and freshness. 
  

I think it's absolutely fine to change your name to something you feel more yourself with. 
Actors/actresses, singers, comedians, and many others often adopt
 a stage name, so why can't any of us slightly alter or completely change the same
 thing if it makes us feel happy?

It may help us envision a more optimistic version of ourselves,
a brighter outlook for our lives. A renewal.

I see nothing wrong with it at all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On Instagram, I changed the username of my photography & artwork account,


niqihoneydew -> mieliseul


I've wanted to change my blog and Instagram username for a while
but wasn't sure what to change them to.
I'll see how I like it.


Miel = Français for honey (I have French ancestry)
Iseul = 한국어 name for dew (Korea has been important to me since childhood),
which originally made me choose to put honeydew after my name 
(it's not just the fruit!).

Plus I just think they look nice together, haha.


"Aeoniq" was an idea that just popped out of nowhere as I wanted something unique
that included part of my name, and have always liked the 'ae' pairing.
It derives from 'eon', or lasting for an age/eternity.
Not that I expect myself to create a legacy that could last "eons",
but it does hold a sense of optimism and longevity, a yearning for going far.

But as much as I do like aeoniq, mieliseul feels to be the correct focus that I'm aiming for.

. . . . . . . . 

I made a separate instagram for my personal posts, or whatever doesn't fit 
on my main one (less curated): @n.iqi,
and renamed this blog to match everything else,
for a bit of a change and lack of a more creative handle.



This Every year will be a fresh start focused on 
developing my style and consistency in creating art,
taking more photos of adventures, 
how I can contribute to the world,
and sharing much more than before.



Quite a boring and wordy update and I don't think anyone
 really needs an explanation, 
but I did one anyway ♡




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© M I E L I S E U L | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig